Let us know if you agree to cookies

We use cookies to give you the best online experience. Please let us know if you agree to all cookies.

Skip to main navigation

Skip to main content


Information about applying to join or rejoin the register and managing your registration.

Search the register

You can search for a registered social worker by their first name, last name, town of employment and registration number.

Search the register for multiple social workers

Search for up to 100 social workers at a time. Enter registration numbers into the search box, separating each number with a space or comma.

Guide to the register

For information about searching the register, what information we publish and how to find help.

Coronavirus temporary registration

Information about why we have temporary registration, how it works, who has temporary registration and how to opt out.

Registration status

Every social worker on our register has a registration status. Read more about what each registration status means.

Renew your registration

Important information about your registration and what you need to do to stay on the register.

Apply to join the register

For people who have completed their social work qualification and would like to apply to join the register.

Leave the register

For information about when to consider leaving the register and what you need to do.

Make a self-referral

If there has been a change to your fitness to practise, you will need to tell us about it.

Students and graduates

For information about what you need to do as a student, such as when to apply for registration.

Misuse of title

It is illegal for a person to use the title 'social worker' unless they have completed the required training and are registered.

Online account guide

You need an online account to record CPD, renew your registration annually and pay your registration fees.

Registration fees

For information about the registration period, how registration fees are calculated and ways to pay.


Returning to the register, also known as restoration, is for social workers who want to return to practice in England.

Registration appeals

For information about when you can make a registration appeal, how to appeal a registration decision and what happens after you've submitted an appeal.

Information for employers

For information about your responsibilities as an employer and what to do if you have concerns about a social worker.

Request an annotation

If you have completed AMHP or BIA training, you can request to have it added to our online register.

Updating skills and knowledge

When making an application, you may need to show us how you’ve kept your skills, knowledge and experience up-to-date.

Brexit guidance

Information about what the EU exit means for social workers in England.

Visiting European professionals

For information about practising as a social worker in England on a temporary or occasional basis.

Work outside England

For information about practising as a social worker outside England and what you need to do.

Qualification verification service

If you qualified as a social worker before the introduction of the social work degree, you can apply for a letter which will verify that you have the relevant qualification.

Social workers on another UK register

We encourage social workers from elsewhere in the UK to register with us when doing any form of practice in England.

Detailed guidance

View all detailed registration guidance.

Back to top