Let us know if you agree to cookies

We use cookies to give you the best online experience. Please let us know if you agree to all cookies.

Skip to main navigation

Skip to main content

Information for employers

Your responsibilities as an employer

As an employer of a social worker you have responsibilities and must:

  • ensure that your employee has had relevant DBS checks 

  • check that your employee is registered with us

  • tell us if you have concerns about your employee

You can find more information about Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks

Check that an employee is registered with us

It is the responsibility of individual social workers to make sure that they are registered with us. You can check that your employee is registered by searching our public register.

You can search the register by name, Social Work England registration number or town. We list the town of the social worker’s current employer, rather than their home address on the register.

If you notice anything on the public register that you believe to be incorrect or if you discover that an employee is not registered with us, let us know as soon as possible. You can call us on 08081962274 or email [email protected] so we can look into it.

If you have concerns about a social worker

If you have concerns about a social worker that cannot be resolved through your own disciplinary procedures, you can raise a concern with us. An example of this could be if you have dismissed a social worker for serious and/or repeated failings in care​.

You read more about raising a concern about an employee.

If you want to pay a social worker’s registration fee

You can pay your social worker’s annual registration fee, but the payment must come out of the social workers individual account. That means it would have to be a process of reimbursement.

Last updated: 28 November 2019