Let us know if you agree to cookies

We use cookies to give you the best online experience. Please let us know if you agree to all cookies.

Skip to main navigation

Skip to main content

Raise a concern about a social worker

What raising a concern means

Raising a concern means giving us information about something a social worker did, or information about the social worker themselves.

If the concern is very serious, please tell us about it as soon as possible. Our role is to investigate concerns that are serious enough to call into question a social worker's fitness to practise. To help you understand what we mean by 'fitness to practise' you may find it helpful to read our professional standards. The standards set out the requirements that we expect social workers to meet to be 'fit to practise'.

There are some concerns we can't consider

Some concerns are best dealt with by the social worker's employer. Read more about when to raise a concern with an employer directly.

If your concern is not about a social worker

If your concern is not about a social worker, Social Work England will not be able to consider it, but other organisations may be able to help you.

Raise a concern about a social worker


Social Work England is not currently a ‘prescribed person’ for the purposes of the Public Interest Disclosure Act 1998. This means that if you report a concern to us, it will be much more difficult for you to rely on the Act for whistleblowing protection than if you report the concern to your employer or to a prescribed person.

View a list of 'prescribed persons or bodies' who you can contact.

Read more about whistleblowing.

Back to top