Let us know if you agree to cookies

We use cookies to give you the best online experience. Please let us know if you agree to all cookies.

Skip to main navigation

Skip to main content

Visiting European professionals

Information about practising as a social worker in England on a temporary or occasional basis.

Visiting European professionals

Last updated: 23 December 2020

Please note: regulation 18 of the Social Workers Regulations 2018 will cease to exist from 1 January 2021 due to the UKs exit from the EU. 

Social work professionals established in the European Economic Area and Switzerland can make a declaration to provide temporary and occasional services in England. We do not assess the professional knowledge and skills of these professionals against our professional standards, so there are limitations on how they can practise in England.

Visiting European professionals can

  • practise on a temporary and occasional basis only
  • use the professional title in a language of their home state
  • practise within the scope of their home state profession
  • either renew their declaration, or
  • apply to register if they want to practise in England for more than 1 year

Visiting European professionals cannot

  • use the designated title ‘social worker’
  • practise in England on an established basis, such as in a full time permanent position
  • perform temporary work where the job title for the post uses the title ‘social worker’

Countries covered by the agreement

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Detailed guidance

Back to top