Online account: activate or set up
What you need to do
Applications to renew your registration now take place annually from 1 September to 30 November. You must apply to renew your registration using your Social Work England online account during this time. We recommend that you activate your online account as soon as possible, so you have enough time to record CPD and apply to renew your registration.
You need an online account to:
- record CPD
- keep your contact and employment details up to date
- renew your registration annually
- pay your registration fees
- request an annotation on the register if you are a certified approved mental health professional (AMHP) or a best interests assessor (BIA)
- let us know if there are any changes to your safe and effective practice
- leave the register
If you were registered with HCPC or applied to join the register while HCPC was the regulator for social workers, you don’t need to set up a new account. Instead, please activate your online account by setting up a password.
- To set your password, enter the email address you used to register with HCPC and select ‘send confirmation code’.
- Open your email account in a new tab or on another device to get the confirmation code.
- Enter the confirmation code on our web page where it is being requested.
- You will then be able to set up a password.
- Once you have created a password and confirmed that you have read our terms and conditions, you will be taken to your online account overview.
If you are applying to join the register for the first time, you need to set up a new account.
Problems logging in or using the online account
Frequently asked questions
If you are having issues with our website or the online account not working as expected, it may be related to the browser you are using, or your internet settings.
Following the steps in our web support guide may help solve the problem.
If you don’t know the email address you used to register with HCPC, or no longer have access to it, please contact us with the following information:
- your full name
- your date of birth
- your home postal code
- the email address you currently have registered on your account
- the email address you would like to be registered with
We will then be able to update your email address so you can log into your online account.
It may take a few minutes for a confirmation code to come through to your email inbox. Remember to check your junk folder.
If you were previously registered with HCPC, and you are trying to activate your account, it’s important you use the primary email which you provided to HCPC. If you don’t know which email address you provided to HCPC, see ‘If you don’t have access to your old email address’ (above).
Confirmation codes expire after 2 minutes. If the code we sent you has expired, you can request a new code by selecting 'resend code'.
If you’ve forgotten the password you use to log in, you can reset your password.
The website may be slow during busy times. If there are problems with our website, we will provide more information on the homepage.
If none of the above helps resolve your issue, please contact us. When you tell us about an issue with the online account, please include screenshots and as many details as possible.
Update your details on your online account
It’s your responsibility to make sure that the information we hold about you is up to date
You must tell us if any of your details change as soon as possible. It is your responsibility to make sure that all the information we hold about you is up to date and accurate throughout your registration.
This includes your personal, contact and employment details as well as any information relevant to your fitness to practise. Failure to inform us of any changes could lead to you being suspended or removed from the register.
You can update your personal, contact and employment details on your online account.
If any of your contact details such as your email address, phone number or address have changed, you can update them in the section ‘Your contact details’ on your online account.
We use your contact details to send you important messages about your registration, so it is important that you tell us if your contact details have changed as soon as possible.
You can update your employer’s contact details or add a new employer in the section ‘Your current employer’ on your online account.
Your employer’s town will be disclosed on the online register, so is important that you make sure this is up to date.
If any of your personal details such as your name or gender have changed, you can update them in the section ‘About you’ on your online account.
Changing your name
You must inform us if the name you are practising under has changed. For example, you may need to change your registered name because of marriage, divorce, or if you have changed your name by deed poll.
When requesting to change your registered name, you will need to provide evidence of your name change such as:
- your birth certificate (if you are changing your name following divorce)
- a deed poll
- your passport
- a marriage or civil partnership certificate showing both names (if you are changing your name following marriage or civil partnership)
- your degree absolute or final order showing both names (if you are changing your name following divorce)
- a document that shows you are using your new name (for example a payslip or letter from your employer)
If you need to evidence a gender change, please provide a copy of your passport.
If you need to evidence a nationality change, you can upload one of the following:
- Driving licence
- National identity card
All documents must be clear colour copies.