Online account: activate or set up
What you need to do
Applications to renew your registration now take place annually from 1 September to 30 November. You must apply to renew your registration using your Social Work England online account during this time. We recommend that you activate your online account as soon as possible, so you have enough time to record CPD and apply to renew your registration.
You need an online account to:
- record CPD
- keep your contact and employment details up to date
- renew your registration annually
- pay your registration fees
- request an annotation on the register if you are a certified approved mental health professional (AMHP) or a best interests assessor (BIA)
- let us know if there are any changes to your safe and effective practice
- leave the register
If you were registered with HCPC or applied to join the register while HCPC was the regulator for social workers, you don’t need to set up a new account. Instead, please activate your online account by setting up a password.
- To set your password, enter the email address you used to register with HCPC and click ‘send confirmation code’.
- Open your email account in a new tab or on another device to get the confirmation code.
- Enter the confirmation code on our web page where it is being requested.
- You will then be able to set up a password.
- Once you have created a password and confirmed that you have read our terms and conditions, you will be taken to your online account overview.
If you are applying to join the register for the first time, you need to set up a new account.
Problems logging in or using the online account
Frequently asked questions
If you are having issues with our website or the online account not working as expected, it may be related to the browser you are using, or your internet settings.
Following the steps in our web support guide may help solve the problem.
If you don’t know the email address you used to register with HCPC, or no longer have access to it, please contact us with the following information:
- your full name
- your date of birth
- your home postal code
- the email address you currently have registered on your account
- the email address you would like to be registered with
We will then be able to update your email address so you can log into your online account.
It may take a few minutes for a confirmation code to come through to your email inbox. Remember to check your junk folder.
If you were previously registered with HCPC, and you are trying to activate your account, it’s important you use the primary email which you provided to HCPC. If you don’t know which email address you provided to HCPC, see ‘If you don’t have access to your old email address’ (above).
Confirmation codes expire after 2 minutes. If the code we sent you has expired, you can request a new code by selecting 'resend code'.
If you’ve forgotten the password you use to log in, you can reset your password.
The website may be slow during busy times. If there are problems with our website, we will provide more information on the homepage.
If none of the above helps resolve your issue, please contact us. When you tell us about an issue with the online account, please include screenshots and as many details as possible.