Restoration is for social workers who want to return to social work practice in England.
Apply for restoration
Last updated: 18 March 2021
Restoration is for social workers who want to return to social work practice in England. You can apply for restoration if you were previously registered with:
- Social Work England
- The Heath and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
If you were only ever registered with the General Social Care Council (GSCC), you will need to apply for registration as a new applicant.
How to apply
If you already have an online account, you can log in with your existing details to apply for restoration.
If you do not have an online account
If you do not have an online account, you can email [email protected]. Please make the subject of your email ‘Request restoration account’. In your email, you should confirm:
- the name you were last registered under
- your date of birth
- your previous registration number
- the home postcode we’re likely to have on our system.
This will help us ensure that we’re giving access to the right person. You will then be able to apply online.
You can also download the restoration application form. Please note that this route may take a little longer.
Information you need to have ready
- Certified colour copies of ID and proof of address documents, so we can confirm your identity
- Proof of any name changes that have occurred since you were last registered, such as a marriage certificate (this must be a certified colour copy)
- Details of the qualification that entitles you to join the register
- Evidence of updating your skills and knowledge (if you have left the register for more than 2 years)
- Information of your employment since you left the register
- Information about any other regulators with whom you hold registration
- Details of any criminal convictions or cautions that you have not yet disclosed to Social Work England, the HCPC or the General Social Care Council (GSCC), except those that are protected
- Details of any health conditions you have not yet disclosed to Social Work England, the HCPC or GSCC that could affect your practice as a social worker
- Details of any occasions when your fitness to practise has been found to be impaired by any regulatory body that you have not yet disclosed to Social Work England, the HCPC or GSCC and
- Up to date evidence of your knowledge of English (in some circumstances)
- If you left the register for failure to provide continuing professional development (CPD) we will request this.
How much you need to pay and when
Once we have received your application, and any supporting documents, we will email you to confirm receipt.
We will also ask you to pay a restoration fee of £135 through your online account. This will help us fully review your application and complete any required checks. For this reason, the restoration fee is non-refundable, even if your application is not approved.
If your application to restore your registration is approved, you will need to pay the registration fee. The full registration fee is £90, but the amount you pay will depend on when in the year your application is processed. Once we have received your registration fee, you will be added to the register within 10 working days.
You can read more about how registration fees work.
If you have not been registered for 2 or more years
If it has been 2 or more years since you were registered, you’ll also need to complete the return to practice form. This is to let us know how you’ve kept your skills and knowledge up-to-date. You will need to upload this form as part of the online application process.
Read more about how to update your skills and knowledge.
You may also want to read about the Return to Social Work programme. This national scheme supports councils to recruit social workers who have taken a 2 to 10 year break from work. It provides free, high-quality training to former social workers helping them to return to the profession.
For more information about the application process and what information you need to provide, please read our guidance on applying for restoration.
If you have any questions about your application, call our registration and advice team on 0808 196 2274 or email [email protected]