Our board holds the executive team, led by the chief executive, to account and provides the overall strategic direction for the organisation.
Social Work England board
Last updated: 28 November 2019
Our board holds the executive team, led by the chief executive, to account and provides the overall strategic direction for the organisation. Our board is responsible for overseeing Social Work England’s regulatory functions.
The specific responsibilities of our board include:
- establishing and taking forward our strategic aims and objectives
- ensuring that the relevant ministers are kept informed of any changes likely to impact on the strategic direction or targets, and determining the steps needed to deal with such changes
- ensuring that any statutory or administrative requirements for the use of public funds are complied with, that our board operates within the limits of its statutory authority, any delegated authority agreed with the Department for Education (the sponsor department), including conditions related to the use of public funds, and guidance issued by the department
- ensuring that our board receives and reviews regular financial information concerning the management of the organisation, approves the annual report and accounts, and is informed in a timely manner about any concerns and provides assurance to the Department for Education that appropriate action has been taken
- demonstrating high standards of corporate governance at all times
Our board ensures effective arrangements are in place to:
- provide strategic direction and challenge to the chief executive, and through the chief executive, the senior leadership team, in setting up and running the organisation
- ensure our strategic direction and corporate objectives are in line with our core purpose
- provide assurance and ensure effective systems are in place for managing performance, risk, governance and internal control
- maintain probity in, and public accountability for, how Social Work England functions and how we use public funds