Apply to join the register
This page is for people who have completed their social work qualification and would like to apply to join the Social Work England register. This includes people who have qualified as social workers outside the UK. All social workers who want to work in England must be registered.
Apply to join the register
Last updated: 1 December 2020
- When to apply
- How to apply
- The application process
- If you qualified as a social worker outside the UK
- More support
When to apply
You can apply to join the register when:
- you have received official confirmation from your course provider that you have successfully completed your course, and
- your course provider has sent us their pass list (list of people who passed the course)
We need the pass list to verify your qualification and will not be able to progress your application until we have had confirmation from your university that you have successfully passed your course.
We ask course providers to tell you when they've sent their pass lists to us. This is usually about 5 working days after results have been officially confirmed.
How to apply
To apply for registration, you need to create an online account. You can use your online account to:
- Apply to be a registered social worker
- Pay your registration fee
- Record CPD
- Renew your registration annually
You may want to read our online account guide.
The application process
During the application process, you will be asked to verify your identity via GOV.UK Verify, or send us certified colour copies of ID and proof of address documents, so we can confirm your identity. You will also be asked to provide details of:
- your social work qualification
- any criminal convictions or cautions that are not 'protected'
- any health conditions you have that may affect your practice as a social worker
- any fitness to practise determinations by a regulatory body
The online application process should take around 30 to 45 minutes to complete. If you need to take a break, you can save your application and return later via your online account.
You can find more information about the application process and what information you need to provide in our guidance for applicants.
If you qualified as a social worker outside the UK
Before you start your application, you may want to read more about the process and what you need to do, including:
- how to evidence your qualification
- English language requirements
Read more about applying for registration if you qualified outside the UK.
We have tried to make the registration process as straightforward as possible, but if you need help please call 0808 196 2274 or email [email protected].