Let us know if you agree to cookies

We use cookies to give you the best online experience. Please let us know if you agree to all cookies.

Skip to main navigation

Skip to main content

Subject Access Requests

Subject Access Requests

You have the legal right to request a copy of the information we hold about you, in line with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA).

Please remember that if you are a social worker, then the personal registration details we hold about you, such as your name, address and email address, can be viewed through your online Social Work England account.

If you make a subject access request, we are legally obliged to respond and provide you with the information we hold about you within a specified time period. In most cases this will be within one month.

In some circumstances you may not be entitled to all of the information held about you. This may be the case, for example, where withholding the information would be necessary and proportionate to avoid prejudicing a legal inquiry, or to protect the rights and freedoms of others. These exemptions are set out in the Data Protection Act.

If we refuse your request on the basis of an exemption, we will provide you with an explanation of our reasoning for this decision.

You are entitled to ask for an internal review of such a decision and may also make a complaint to the Information Commissioner, or seek to enforce your right of access through a judicial process.

Our role is to regulate social workers, which includes investigating concerns about social workers. We also regulate education and training courses and qualifications for social workers in England.

Please note that we are unlikely to hold any personal data about you unless you are a social worker, or a fitness to practise concern has been raised about your social worker.

If a fitness to practise concern has been raised about your social worker, we would only hold the data that was required to assist with our investigation into this concern.

If you are a member of the public and require social work case notes regarding yourself or someone else, we would suggest that you contact the social worker’s employer or local authority.

If you require records relating to a care home, you may wish to contact the care home directly, or the relevant local authority, depending on the nature of the information you are looking for.

How to submit a subject access request

Before submitting your request, please consider whether Social Work England is the most appropriate place to send your request, considering the information above.

If you wish to submit a subject access request, please provide the following information about you:

  • full name
  • email address
  • date of birth
  • your, or your social worker’s registration number, if applicable (this can be found on our public register)
  • case reference number, if relevant

Please also provide a description of the information you would like to receive. Please include as much information as possible to assist us with locating your information, such as:

  • dates
  • reference numbers
  • names of the people you have been communicating with

Please be aware that Social Work England needs to be satisfied that you are who you say you are. This means that we may ask you to provide evidence of your identity. We do this to protect your information, so that we know we will only provide a response to the right person.

You can submit your requests using the contact details below:

[email protected]

Information Request
Social Work England
1 North Bank
Blonk Street
S3 8JY

If writing to us by post, please also include the email or postal address to which we can send the reply.

0808 196 2274

Further information

If you would like more information about accessing your data, you can find out more from the Information Commissioner's Office.

If you would like more information about how we handle your data, you can find out more by reading our privacy notice


Last updated: 2 December 2020

Back to top