Let us know if you agree to cookies

We use cookies to give you the best online experience. Please let us know if you agree to all cookies.

Skip to main navigation

Skip to main content

Knowledge of English

Information for applicants who qualified as a social worker outside UK. 

English language requirements

Last updated: 28 November 2019

We need to be confident that your English is of a suitable standard. This means that you need to be able to speak and write in English, understand people when they speak to you in English, and understand documents written in English.

There are 4 ways you can demonstrate this:

IELTS certificates

For us to accept an international English language testing system (IELTS) qualification, your certificate must show:

  • that you took the academic version of the test
  • that you got an overall score of at least 7.0
  • the original stamp and test report form number
  • that you received your IELTS qualification in the last five years

Social work qualifications gained in the UK

If you have a UK social work qualification that is recognised by us, you can use it as evidence of your knowledge of English as long as it was awarded within the last 5 years.

Social work qualifications gained outside the UK and taught in English

In some circumstances, it is possible to use your social work qualification as evidence of your knowledge of English.

To do this, you must have qualified as a social worker, both:

  • within the last 5 years
  • in a country where English is the first and native language

We will contact your course provider directly to confirm that the qualification was entirely taught and examined in English.

Practising social work in English

If you have been registered and practising as a social worker in a country where English is the first and native language, this can be used as evidence of your knowledge of English if (both of the following apply to you):

  • you were registered and practising for at least one year within the last 5 years
  • an English language assessment was required for registration

You will need to provide details of the regulatory body you were registered with, as well as contact details for your employer. We need these details so we can confirm that you have been practising using English.

Back to top