Let us know if you agree to cookies

We use cookies to give you the best online experience. Please let us know if you agree to all cookies.

Skip to main navigation

Skip to main content

If you qualified as a social worker outside UK

Information for applicants who qualified as a social worker outside UK. 

How to apply if you qualified as a social worker outside UK

Last updated: 17 January 2022

Before you apply

Before you start your application, please read more about the process and what you need to do as part of the application. 

Scrutiny fee

As an overseas professional applying to join the register, you need to pay a non-refundable scrutiny fee of £495. We will ask you to pay this fee at the end of your application. You can pay the fee online, securely through GOV.UK Pay. If you are not able to pay online, you will have the option to pay via bank transfer. 

We will not be able to consider your application without this payment. Once we have received payment, we will be able to check and verify your documents. We may also need to contact education providers, any relevant regulatory bodies and previous employers.

If you are, or have been, registered with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC), Social Care Wales or the Northern Ireland Social Care Council (NISCC), you should apply via the UK route and will not be required to pay a scrutiny fee.

The scrutiny fee is different to the registration fee.

Registration fee

If your application is successful, you will also need to pay a registration fee.

When your registration fees are due, we will let you know via your online account. Registration fees must be paid within 14 calendar days. If you don’t pay your registration fees within 14 calendar days, we will close your application.

If you still want to practise as a social worker in England, you will need to make a new application to join the register.

Verify your identity

If you have a UK address, you may be able to verify your identity using GOV.UK Verify. This is a secure way to prove who you are online. You can read more about GOV.UK Verify

If you don’t live in the UK, you will need to provide documents that prove your identity and address for example, your passport and a utility bill dated within the last 3 months. We will ask you for these documents after you’ve submitted your application.

Knowledge of English

We need to be confident that your English is of a suitable standard. This means that you need to be able to speak and write in English, understand people when they speak to you in English, and understand documents written in English.

Read more about how to evidence your knowledge of English.

Qualification requirements

To register as a social worker, you must have completed a recognised social work qualification. Read more about qualification requirements for applicants with overseas qualifications.

Documents not written in English

Any documents that are not written in English must be accompanied by a certified translation. This means that the translation company should confirm, by writing on the translation:

  • that the translation is a ‘true and accurate translation of the original document’
  • the date of the translation
  • the full name and contact details of the translator or a representative of the translation company

If your copies are not clear enough, or if we are unable to verify their authenticity, we may request to see your original documents.

More support

If you need help or have any questions, you can call us on 08081962274 or email [email protected].

Back to top