Annual report and accounts
Annual report and accounts: 1 September 2018 to 31 March 2019
This is our first annual report and accounts since we were established under the Children and Social Work Act 2017.
We are a non-departmental public body (NDPB) and will operate at arm’s length from Government. This means that whilst we will work within a strategic framework set by ministers, Social Work England is independent from government. That independence means we can respond to the changing demands of delivering social work practice and education safely and effectively.
Our first year of operations has largely focused on establishing and developing our organisation to ensure that we successfully deliver our regulatory functions.
During the year we:
- continued to increase our staff numbers, capabilities and overall capacity
- made significant progress on our digital services, our transition arrangements and business processes
- began working from our own premises, enabling us to develop and test our operations and train our staff on site
- launched our consultation on our professional standards, our standards for education and training and our rules for registration, education and training and fitness to practise
- engaged with key stakeholders to build relationships and start a conversation on shared ambitions
Moving forward, our focus will shift from establishing the organisation, to embedding our regulatory powers and developing the way we work to ensure that we are an effective and proportionate regulator. Collaborating with everyone involved in social work will be at the heart of everything we do.
Date published: 27 August 2019