Education quality assurance officers
Job reference: 172
We're looking for 2 education quality assurance officers to join the team responsible for undertaking the quality assurance of education courses for social workers in England.
- 1 x fixed term contract until 31 March 2025.
- 1x fixed term contract to start in October for up to 12 months (maternity cover)
£33,000 per annum, rising to £35,000 per annum after successful completion of a 6-month probationary period.
These roles are home based, but some regular travel to Sheffield would be required. Frequent travel within England is an essential part of the role and involves up to 5 days at a time/2 weeks of the month visiting course providers.
What you will do
- Work collaboratively with inspectors and course providers as part of an inspection team to facilitate robust and consistent inspection processes.
- Provide coaching and support for stakeholders connected to the course, course providers and to inspectors.
- Develop inspection plans which detail activities, timelines and priorities for the inspection, often as part of multiple inspection teams involving complex systems and processes.
- Lead on the delivery and smooth running of inspection activities, including determining use of resources, facilitating meetings with key stakeholders and representing us externally during the inspection process.
- Prepare and deliver detailed, comprehensive and accurate reports for each approval and monitoring process and agree the content of these reports with inspectors, so that robust, consistent and fair decisions can be made.
- Work with inspectors and other colleagues to ensure recommendations are supported by corroborated evidence, demonstrating a well-reasoned basis for decision making and an approach which stands up to scrutiny internally and externally.
- Articulate complex matters and able to negotiate with course providers and influence based on evidence and expertise.
- Work with inspectors to identify any concerns and development needs in courses, including any potential risks to public safety, and process and escalate these concerns in line with agreed procedures and timescales.
- Provide comprehensive and effective advice with specialised knowledge and skills, and a sound understanding of education policy to support educational providers within a region on educational, quality assurance and wider policies, processes and standards.
- Work autonomously to deliver an engagement strategy managing collaboration with course providers to be a single point of specialised knowledge covering multiple diverse routes into social work.
- Provide membership at key engagement events and identify opportunities to embed standards within social work courses and practice.
- Provide guidance at a course provider specific level and negotiate with others as a recognised expert in education quality assurance establishing expectations of provision of high quality education and training in social work.
- Build and maintain strong professional relationships across-teams and other regulatory bodies and agencies.
- Able to respond proactively to a broad range of education topics in response to enquiries into Social Work England.
- Acknowledge, investigate and respond to concerns about courses and qualifications.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of continuous improvements of the education quality assurance processes, including facilitating focus groups and utilising advisory support.
- Deliver, analyse and report on approval and monitoring activity, identifying appropriate actions to embed standards, key learning opportunities from institutional regulation and decision-making routes.
- Support the head of quality assurance and quality assurance operations manager to ensure learning from the quality assurance process is effectively disseminated.
- Contribute to developing and maintaining best practice in policy and operations.
Your skills and knowledge
- Knowledge of good governance in decision making and the ability to balance expert views with evidence provided against set criteria.
- Experience in a related area or with transferable skills, for example governance or audit/inspection, and working with quality assurance systems and frameworks.
- Experience of using analytical information and robust evidence to inform decisions against a risk-based methodology and evidence gathering and synthesis.
- Knowledge of engagement techniques and strategies with demonstrable experience of mediation, group facilitation and leading on techniques for consensus decision making.
- The ability to exercise sound judgement and confidently justify any actions taken both in written form and during complex multi-level meetings.
- High level of customer service and ability to manage a portfolio of activity.
- The ability to work independently as well as part of a team and take initiative to drive personal work forward whilst supporting the delivery of team objectives.
- Strong planning and organisational skills, with the ability and commitment to deliver high quality, accurate work to tight deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with report writing ability. Able to de-sign and deliver presentations for a range of different audiences and facilitating feed-back sessions with students, placement providers or senior staff.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to build successful relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively handle sensitive situations with tact, diplomacy and professionalism.
- Flexibility and willingness to work outside normal working hours and to travel on a regular basis. This role will also require regular travel to locations throughout England and may require staying within pre-booked accommodation.
- Knowledge of equality, diversity and inclusion policies and an appreciation of their relevance to our work.
- A track record of respectful, open and honest behaviour including a demonstrable commitment to inclusion and diversity.
If you have any queries about the role or the appointment process, please contact [email protected]
How to apply
Interview date: tbc
At interview we will seek to further understand your skills, knowledge, experience and motivation and test the key competencies of the role. If you are successful, we will undertake routine security checks.